Montgomery, AL Business Attorney
If you business is facing a legal issue in Montgomery or central Alabama, contact the law office of Amanda B. Cook to explore your options.
What is Business Law?
Business Law refers to the body of laws governing business organizations, or business entities, such as partnerships and corporations.
Matters of business law also define and regulate the legal rights, obligations, and conduct of business entities engaged in commercial activities.
Additionally, business law is closely related to commercial law, with many overlapping issues.
FindLaw1 differentiates the two areas of legal practice as follows:
“Commercial law focuses on the sale and distribution of goods, as well as financing of certain transactions. Business law focuses on the other aspects of business, including forming a company, mergers and acquisitions, shareholder rights, and property issues such as leasing office or warehouse space. A business that sells products will almost certainly need a lawyer with experience in both of these fields.” 2
Who Needs a Business Lawyer?
Retaining an attorney who specializes in the practice of business law offers many benefits.
When you turn to Amanda B. Cook, you will have:
- Access to a lawyer who is familiar with small-family businesses as well as cooperative endeavors
- A business attorney who can locally represent you in Montgomery County
- The freedom to worry less about legal matters and focus more on operating your enterprise
Whether you are creating a complex shareholder agreement, wondering which is the best way to file for your business entity, or involved in a legal dispute, we are here to help.
Choosing Your Business Structure
Are you ready to incorporate? Are you sure?
There are many potential forms for business organizations available for consideration.
First, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the best form for your business?
- Do you have, or are you, an investor in a small business ‘partnership’?
- Does your corporation have iron-clad bylaws that help prevent misunderstandings and disputes between shareholders?
One of the fundamental decisions that a business owner must make is the form of the organization that will be utilized to conduct the business.
It is vitally important that the businessperson choose the form that will be most beneficial to the operation of the business and its owner.
If you’re unsure about any of the above questions, consider contacting Amanda B. Cook.
She’ll work closely with your accountant and advise and assist in choosing the appropriate type of business organization.
If you are concerned about taxation, we will also discuss the financial benefits you could receive when you organize your company as a corporation.
Drafting Corporate Bylaws
In the state of Alabama, corporations are required to have bylaws in place for their inner governance.
Amanda B. Cook prepares agreements between shareholders, partners, and members to:
- Clarify roles of individuals in your organization
- Define rules that privately govern the way your organization will behave
Proper documentation, in the form of operating agreements, partnership agreements, bylaws, and shareholder agreements, is necessary for the health and function of your business.
At the law practice of Amanda B. Cook, Attorney-at-Law, we possess the knowledge and experience necessary to:
- Protect your liability status and, therefore, your personal assets
- Clarify verbal agreements in writing
- Minimize disagreements with partners
- Control the application of vague default state rules in the event of any disagreements
Ligation & Business Disputes
When ligation has already arisen due to a previous agreement (or lack thereof), we will:
- Take over the legal issues and get you back to doing what you do best
- Work to minimize the cost of litigation
- Schedule your appointments seven days a week
- Provide the personal attention you deserve
If you find yourself involved in a dispute, Amanda B. Cook is ready to fight and committed to protecting your interests!
Strategic Legal Services
We will be here to help you navigate the state regulations and federal rules that may apply to your business organization and its operations.
Issues that we have the knowledge and experience to deal with include:
- Agency relationships
- Partnership agreements
- Joint ventures
- Formation of partnerships
- Partnership accounting
- Partnership dissolution
- Winding up
- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)
- Fiduciary Duties
- LLC Dissolution
- Organizational Structure
- Financial Rights of Shareholders
- Family operated (closely held) businesses
- Voting rights
- Shareholder agreements
- Minority shareholders
- Duty of Care and Loyalty
- Enforcing Director’s Duties
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured interests
- Buy out agreements
- Formation or filing. creating a business entity
- Commercial lease agreements and disputes
- Operating Agreements
- Articles of Incorporation
- Contract and agreement interpretation
- Disputes and business or commercial litigation
If you have questions about any issues that face your business in the Montgomery River Region or central Alabama, contact business attorney Amanda B. Cook to request your initial consultation.
Business Law: Related Articles
- Note: FindLaw is a provider of online legal information for lawyers, businesses, and individuals. Website link »
- Source: FindLaw, “What is Business and Commercial Law?” – Website link »